Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Gifts Exchange

We did the whole gifts exchange thingy last Saturday. I think it's just dumb.

There's a specific list of items to bring - wine, oranges, a large ang pao, cakes, and some pork. I said "some pork" is because actually tradition dictates it to be an entire pig but because it's so troublesome, people find alternatives. However, this doesnt simply mean you cut a small piece of pork. It has to be "a whole piece", whatever it means. And it must be cut in a certain way. But! But But But! It can however be replaced by the canned pig trotters. That's so incredulous really.

Some of the canned pork and other items that i bring over will be returned to me and these have to come in a quantity that fulfils some criteria - must be even number, the number, after returning to be must also be an even number and not be "4". The said number must also, logistically, be not a too big number.

So basically, I lugged 8 bottles of wine and others all the way there and then brought 6 back. Actually brought S$1888 in ang pao and the female side was supposed to keep $888 but last minute decided to keep $88 because $888 is a three digit number. So in that regard, I just saved $800. w00t!

I think it's just silly. Traditions aside, we just spent so much effort acquiring these things and packing them for a 10-minute exchange.

No comments: