Talking abt my clients, they're a pretty funny bunch. All around my age. We went out for dinner the last time i was in Bangkok. They come from all over the world. 1 american, 1 singaporean, one hongkie.
the american was very excited to know i was Singaporean cos he said he trying to learn Singlish from the singaporean colleague. "It's a very unique language that uses English words in weird combinations," he said. And he said that the whole of Singapore would understand it if we heard it.
He asked " Cornball, if you and I were in a bar and we saw a girl walk past. If I told you ' the girl C.M.I', would you understand it?"
Me: Yes of cos.
He totally cracked up man.. i didnt really understand what the fuss was abt but he was totally laughed n laughed and was utterly amazed that two singaporeans meeting in bangkok would understand "Cannot Make It". haha.. maybe the effect is lost when i type it out in a blog but it was a totally funny scene.
Then he asked me what does "KNN" mean? (KNN <~~ for my young impressionble readers, is a very very bad hokkien expletive. It's so bad that im not spelling it out in full, even though the question was asked to me in perfect hokkien diction.."KNN". We'll jus stick to the acronyms).
Needless to say, i was shocked to hear it over the dinner table.
Then he asked " What is "CCB"? (CCB <~~ for my young impressionble readers, is another very very bad hokkien expletive. It's so bad that im not spelling it out in full, even though the question was asked to me in perfect hokkien diction.."CCB". We'll jus stick to the acronyms).
I asked him how come he knew these words and how to pronounce them so accurately some more..
Then he said the Singaporean colleague always muttered these words when he received some emails.
Then the Singapore dude explained that their office all americans, he didnt wana swear using the "f" word, so he jus swears in hokkien where no one understands.
Muhahaha...
Then the american dude told me in a whisper " And he(singaporean dude) tells me.. KNN is quite vulgar, CCB is also quite vulgar.. but if you combine them, i.e KNNBCCB.. now, that's the ultimate hokkien vulgar word"
That cracked me up.
4 comments:
Woh ... I am amazed..
No wonder ppl always say 学好三年,学坏三天。
So 你很坏是吗??
I am a good girl... :P
I didn't know that there r actually people interested in Singlish. Cool....
Post a Comment