Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Speech

Havent had time to update the blog.

Here's a copy of the speech i gave during Sox's wedding last week.

Good evening everyone, I was informed that the bridesmaids wanted to give a speech and I thought that I didn’t want to make the groom lose face, so I agreed to also say a few words. And because I also didn’t want to embarrass myself, I also prepared a script for the first time in my life.

As many might be aware, I’ve known Sox for a long time now, in fact ever since we slept beside each other on towels in XXX pre-primary. Little did I know our lives would forever be intertwined, for better or for worse, because we went on to be in same class in primary school, and secondary school. We went to same junior college and then very coincidentally our army camps were very close to each other. We subsequently went to XXX where no surprises our faculties were just side by side.

Because we shared the same surname, he was always lined up behind me all these years. But that’s all the similarities ended. Because Sox always bettered me in everything. Athletically, he represented the schools in softball and handball and I’d have thought he didn’t have time to study but as it often turned out, he fared better than me academically too. Instead, the activities we indulged in were more sedentary and suited for my fitness level – billiards, mahjong and golf. And certainly one of the greatest blessings that Sox gave me was that he invited me to join him and his parents for their weekly golf games and that opened up a whole new world for me.

Sometimes I think about why our friendship is so enduring. As some of you might attest to this, (and I see my girlfriend nodding her head furiously), I am not the easiest person to get along with plus im also not good in keeping in touch. But over the years, Sox has sought me out time and again to involve me in his life and activities and for that im thankful, especially since he told me quite recently that actually he doesn’t play golf with new golfers.

XXX, you’ve been a bright spark in Sox’s life and this is very apparent. I see how his eyes light up when he speaks about you and how happy he is when he’s with you.

In conclusion, I’d like to present a song to you both because I just simply thought it would be more impressive than what the bridesmaids would do.

No comments: