Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Party!

I attended a house party some weeks back.

I tend to attend more of these when Someone is in town because she's the more social one and my version of a perfect weekend would be badminton in the morning and then the rest of the day spent watching TV with a bubble tea in hand.

Anyway, I digress.

The hostess is a Thai and her husband is a Singaporean, who quite coincidentally was my secondary school junior, but I never saw him before. That's another blog on "Small Small World".

This Thai lady and her husband are very wealthy. I think their individual families are wealthy. They each drive a Ferrari here and I think that while Ferraris are relatively cheaper here in Shanghai. Driving it here in such a dirty place is such a waste of money. I mentioned their wealth really because i think she is quite airy fairy and seems to live in her own world.

For the party, they decided to host this in another apartment that they own in Shanghai. It's a 300sqm apartment with a view of this:

 photo 20131102_193210_zpseb4637cc.jpg

That was the Huang Pu River, in case you didnt know.

First of all, they apparently dont have plates there so we were responsible for bringing disposable cutlery.

The cuisine for the night was supposed to be Thai. 

But by 1pm on day of the dinner. she hadn't informed the groupchat of 16 people where the dinner will be and what time.

I told Someone it's as though it was a "Diner en Blanc" - secret location, secret time.

We eventually got the time (7pm) but at 6pm, we were told to come at 730pm instead because the food took longer than expected.

Then 20 minutes later, she messaged again to say we can come at 7pm now. Diao.

On the way there, we were informed that her husband bought more food and she's angry and she decided not to make tom yum soup. Someone in the chat had to beg her to make before she changed her mind. In the end, there was tom yum soup.

When we reached there, I saw mountains and mountains of food. Upon closer inspection, it was a huge mountain of hokkien mee, huge mountain of carrot cake and huge pool of curry chicken. That was mind boggling for me. It was a whole cacophony of mixed emotions. My mind was swirling at the copious amount of food but yet my brain is telling me this isnt Thai food! This is Singapore food.

Then..

Then i saw the Thai food.

Two tiny take-away-boxes-sized portions of pork (which turned out very nice), one normal sized plate of chicken (very dry) and two normal sized plates of vegetables (not my cuppa).  That definitely wasnt enough for 16 people! And of course tom yum soup. There wasnt really enough so everyone got 3/4 bowl of it.

No wonder her husband went to get extra food. And he even got it at my favourite Singapore restaurant here. But man, to begin with Singapore food here is expensive, and with the amount of food he bought, I think the hokkien mee alone was at least S$100! There was so so much food that most people could bring back and we ate the hokkien mee for lunch the next day - enough for two of us!

What a bimbo! If her husband didnt save the day, we would all have gone home hungry.








No comments: