Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Re-Connected....



I recently got a message from a stranger on Facebook the other day to ask me to add him.

His name sounded familiar but it's a common English name anyway.

But, he addressed me by my Chinese name, which I havent really used since primary school. So it’s almost no shit that he’s a primary school friend. But I was quite sure that my primary school friend’s English name was spelt another way. Hmm.. who could it be?

His profile picture wasn't helpful. Only half his face was shown and it was artistically taken. Plus he not sported a goatee. I looked through all his pictures and recognized him from one of his super old pictures!

Wow! This was a guy who was one of the worst students in class. Went to the same secondary school as us all really because secondary school was affiliated so basically everyone got to go. But he got kicked out after sec two! You need to be really lousy to be kicked out of sec 2 of your affiliated school man. He did it! Now he’s the owner of a web design and brand identity and mobile apps company. And from what I can see from his pictures, he’s a pretty accomplished photographer as well.

Wow… what a change of fortunes! Getting connected to him again made me reflect on how being lousy in school early on, or even later in life, doesn't necessarily make you're a loser. I mean, I always knew that but to be able to witness it first hand on someone I know is a very vivid reminder. Of course, what does success really mean? Does it mean a big title and big pay check? Does it mean a big house or many material goods? Does it mean a happy family?

Very clichéd I know, but he was on my mind for quite a number of days.


No comments: