Search This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Becoming a Local

Unsurprisingly, I am becoming more and more local every day. And because I'm living alone now, I am becoming more and more domesticated.

I worry about groceries and worry what will happen to my fresh milk when I travel. I look out for deals online for cheap groceries, especially when I buy in bulk.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being domesticated but sometimes I am amazed that there are so many things to think about.

Being more local here means being a member of various services so that you get a discount. So i signed up for a RMB2,000 massage membership for a 20% discount, RMB1,000 laundry card for a 30% discount, and an EZ-link card for transportation, but that latter is only so that i dont have to deal with all the dirty notes all the time and be left with so many coins.

Being local also means that you not only dont drink from the tap (i dont do that in Singapore anyway) but you cant even boil the tap water. Yes, here, most families have a water cooler where you would boil that before you even drink it.

I heard some people have a separate tap that comes from a separate source that has potable water. 

So troublesome for something so basic.

No comments: