Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Basketball

Through the introduction of some mutual friends, I was invited to play basketball one evening.

Along with badminton, basketball remains as my first love as I played it a lot growing up.

However, with age and busyness and all of life’s distractions, I haven’t played basketball for at least seven or eight years.

Fortunately, I had the great foresight to ship my basketball shoes over during my move.

The court we played in with an indoor hard court which looked very professional. Everyone else looked very professional too and more crucially, they all looked very young. All at least 10 years younger than me. All the Air Jordan apparel. I began to feel a wee bit self conscious of my shoes.

Sigh.. back in the day, me and my Air Jordan 13s ruled the court.

The first sign of trouble came when I tied my laces and it was so super tight! That’s bad.

Then the plastic logo on the tongue of shoes crumbled. The whole thing just cui-ed, leaving many pieces on the floor.

The nail in the coffin came when the other people came by to say hi and remarked, “Hey your shoes is the one by Penny Hardaway.” I felt so embarrassed!

For the uninitiated, Penny Hardaway was a one-season wonder back in the day and is now 42.

This is the pair: 

I just googled it. It was launched in 1997. Yikes.

No comments: