Search This Blog

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Party

As mentioned above, I was invited to a CNY afternoon part by my dissertation supervisor.. it was to be a gathering for all his old students, past and present. It was quite a coincidence that he invited me cos just the week that i got the invite, I wanted to ask him out for lunch.

Our love affair started once during a lecture when he suddenly gave a pop quiz. Just 1 question only, on finance. I remembered pointing out to him that there's a mistake in the question. He insisted that there was no mistake. Of cos, I also insisted but his voice was louder. Oh well.. later, when he was going thru the quiz, he found out that i was right. muhahaha.. i felt vindicated.

Later that same day of the lecture, i was at the shopping centre downstairs and guess who i bumped into??? HIM!!! hahaha.. he was there in a tee and shorts and we jus stared at each other and smiled. i guesed he lived nearby. Such a coincidence.

He was the Head of Research in my dept so i wanted him to be my dissertation supervisor but he told me he was going on sabbatical in the next semester to canada for 1 year. Which means i'd have to submit my dissertation earlier and he'd have to supervise me from there via email. I decided to go for it.

Going to the party was like a geek fest. I was half expecting it anyway, with his reputation and all. within the 2nd minute, i heard the word "linear programming" already. in the next few hours, i heard words like "journals", "publishing","methodology" many times. My Prof introduced me and my other friend (who also took the plunge with me. Coincidentally, my friend and I have the same english name and surname!) as the 2 heroes who asked him to supervise us when he was in canada. No one was very impressed really. After a while, i was quite convinced that we both were the only 2 ple in the room that didnt grad with 1st class hons.. I kid u not.

My friend and I hung out with some juniors cos only they seemed interested in talking to us. Prof told me to talk more abt my job cos it's quite interesting. Until one gal suddenly asked me which company i was from. I told her and she said her bf applied there once. She told me his name and i was like... "oooooooooooooooh.. he's ur bf ah??". This bugger is a fren of my classmate, who got my number from my classmate and called me at 12mn the night before his interview. We chatted for 2 hrs and i met him the next day. My boss even told me to sit in the interview. Actually we kinda liked him but for some reason, my boss was slow to get back to him and he went off somewhere.. i thought it ended off quite sore for both parties, at least to me. And there i had his gf right in front of me. *sweat*

It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all
It's a small small world.

Apparently Prof has a chilled wine shelf. So i was glad i brought wine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that the Brain Power in that room that very afternoon will kill you.... sibei SEONG