Search This Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Last Dinner

And it was decided that my farewell/christmas dinner was to be held at the Melt Care at the Mandarin Oriental. Frankly, I thought it was a bit extravagant given there were fifteen people in the office and it was $80 per person.

It was a poignant last 30 minutes. Removing my office key from my key ring, removing the door access card from my wallet, packing my blackberry to make sure all the cables are inside and then trying to pack up my laptop. It's true that you start to cherish something when you know you're going to lose it. In the last hour of my last day, EVERYONE in the office, including some in my Beijing office, went into a Skype conference chat and it was a mad frenzy trying to keep up with a conversation with 10 people. But alas, it had to end when i had to shut down my laptop.

I sent out an email to everyone

"Hi everyone

Thank you for the kind wishes.

THE BOSS promised that the learning curve will be steep and he kept his promise, which is among the many promises he kept in the last 3.5 years.

My joy comes from seeing the office grow from a team of five to 27 staff spread over 3 offices. The regular traveling of the job has accorded me the unique opportunity to have “mini holidays” with many of you. This has allowed me to get to know you better outside the office, though some say I’m a boring traveler :(. My only regret was not being able to spend more time with the newer folks and getting to know you all better.

I’ll still be in Singapore and if you would have me over for fancy meals, I’d be more than delighted. In the interim, my email address will be XXX@gmail.com and I’m available on Skype as well.

Thank you once again and it has indeed been an honour and privilege to be working with this group of fine professionals.

I wish you all well and may 2008 bring more opportunities and abundance.

Yours,
Cornball."


Dinner was a bit odd cos I wasnt very hungry and it was just a time of chatting and all. Towards the end, my boss gave an stirring speech/tribute that left me quivering. It included the usual words you say when someone leaves but he ended by looking me in the eye and said "On a personal note, I'll miss his friendship and presence in the company"

It was about then that i knew I wasnt able to give my speech.

Seeing that i couldnt continue, they went round the table, saying pleasantries about me (some were quite fake i thought. whahahahahha)

But one dude, one of my first juniors said this. I remembered word for word because it was so sweet. It was even sweeter because he was someone i pushed damn hard cos he was a bit slow.

He said

"I'm glad to have Cornball as my first mentor. In my first week in the office, Cornball was travelling. But when he came back, I followed him around ever since and I've learnt alot from him. It'd be weird to come to work without him around"

With that, he teared. GOSH!

I composed myself sufficently to say something short and then i choked on my words and couldnt continue. What a wuss. Wasted the perfect speech i had in my head.

My boss then handed me a present.

From the shape of the box, i had an inkling what was inside. But i hoped it wasnt what i thought it was.

The gift was an epitome of everything my boss was nice but forgetful. He got me a pair of pens.

Photobucket

Photobucket

He already knew i have a pen cos he played with it once... haha..

Here's my pen.

Photobucket

I got more gifts...food again...

Photobucket

When i got home, I got this email.. so funny really

"Hey Cornball,

Understand that yesterday was your last day at work.

Hope you had great fun at the dinner last night!

Unfortunately, I did not manage to bid a formal goodbye to you.

Although we have not worked on too many assignments, I have really learned a great deal from you. Thank you so much!

Now that you will be moving on, I wouldn’t be able to meet the with you or get grooming/tailoring tips from you anymore. And too bad we can’t go back together to Wenchang on an assignment next time.

So here wishing you all the best in your future endeavours and more progression up the social ladder for you!

Please do not forget us when you become a MD somewhere next time! And don’t forget to find a wife amidst your rapid career progression!!! And hope to see you in some Lambo or Porsh the next time we meet!!

Take care, enjoy and God bless!

Best wishes,
XXXX"

No comments: