Search This Blog

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Semblance

I'm very glad that CNY is ending tomorrow.

I really hate CNY. When i was younger, it was about the ang paos like everyone else. Then after a while it got so boring and irritating when my parents have to decide which side to visit first and what time and who's going to be there and "let's go when more people's there" etc. So much so i stopped buying CNY clothes. Now i just dread it with the immense inconvenience it causes me.

Restaurants are closed.

Those that are open only serve set menus.

My sinseh is closed for 2 weeks.

My hairdresser is closed for one week.

No badminton from both set (Colleagues and uni friends) of kakis for 3 weeks!

Various ple in the office are on leave and cant get some work done.

Various other ple (like my lawyers[Indonesia has one day holiday])) on leave so they arent doing the work that i pay them to.

Now that it's the end of CNY, seems like the proper start to the new year. My various simmering travel plans are bubbling now. Supposed to be going to Hainan and then Shanghai. Managed to hive off Hainan to someone else and then so I'm just going to Shanghai. It has been about 4 months since i have travelled. I think it's the longest ever stretch that im in Singapore ever since i started work 5 years ago. WOW.

I realise that there's a usual cycle of feelings when a trip is impending.

First, i'll be excited to get out of the office.

Then, one or two days before departing, I'll begin to think about what i'll miss at home.

I'll then feel sucky the night before departing.

On the first night overseas, I'll be full of anticipation of getting some deals done.

By the third night, i'll be missing home.

So now i plan more frequent but shorter trips, especially since i have badmintons on weekends.

w00t!

No comments: