It was a little weird for me when I first touched down in Singapore last week.
First of all, gosh the humidity. Hit me like a brick wall. A hot brick wall.
Then I had the inclination to speak to the taxi driver in Chinese. That was fine until i wanted to ask for a receipt. I said 发票 instead of 可以给我receipt吗?Stunned the driver for a while before i recovered and used the right terminology.
When I entered cars in Singapore, I was sometimes surprised that the driver seat isnt where I thought it'd be.
The oddest was when I was in a restaurant then I heard Singlish from another table. I spun around immediately, glad to hear a familiar accent in a foreign land. Oh wait a minute, I'm not in a foreign land. Im back in Singapore. This is how everyone speaks!
Have I been china-tised? How weird.
First of all, gosh the humidity. Hit me like a brick wall. A hot brick wall.
Then I had the inclination to speak to the taxi driver in Chinese. That was fine until i wanted to ask for a receipt. I said 发票 instead of 可以给我receipt吗?Stunned the driver for a while before i recovered and used the right terminology.
When I entered cars in Singapore, I was sometimes surprised that the driver seat isnt where I thought it'd be.
The oddest was when I was in a restaurant then I heard Singlish from another table. I spun around immediately, glad to hear a familiar accent in a foreign land. Oh wait a minute, I'm not in a foreign land. Im back in Singapore. This is how everyone speaks!
Have I been china-tised? How weird.
No comments:
Post a Comment