15 June marks the tenth anniversary of my working life.
Ten years ago that day, I started work at my first job.
I dropped an SMS to the boss who hired me, saying:
“Hey XXX, today, 15 June, marks the anniversary of tenth
year in which I started work. Which means that 10 years ago today, you gave me
a chance at XXX and I will always be grateful for what you've done for me. Take
care and I hope to catch up soon.”
His reply was typical and short:
“Let me know when you’re next back in Singapore and we
can catch up.”
Ten years. Time seemed to have flew by.
It was actually quite a surreal the way I got the job. My
job applications to the traditional big firms and statutory boards weren’t getting
any hits and it was at this time when XXX sent an email to my university asking
for interested applicants. Although it was a somewhat different industry, I applied
because I was somewhat desparate.
I remember thinking the office of this company must be
really lousy and small because the boss conducted all his interviews in the
restaurant of the nearby hotel. I know it was all his interviews because I saw
someone leaving before me and then when it was my turn to leave, I saw my uni
sch mate after me, also waiting to be interviewed.
I was right on both counts – the office was small and
lousy.
The “office” of the boss was a mere partition. It had a
door but it’s like a toilet cubicle door. You can throw something over to hit
him. I remember being disappointed that my office isn’t in the CBD like what I imagined
it’d be like. I remember going to the CBD to meet my friends for lunch and
being amazed at the tall skyscrapers and the hordes of people there are during
lunch hour.
I also remember being concerned how much lunch cost each
day and wondering when I’d be able to pay off my university tuition loan.
Thankfully, we didn't stay in that office for very long. But
we moved to the other side of outside CBD. I still wasn't getting a break on
office location. I was thankful that at least my desk in the office was in
front of a wall so that I could surf and MSN at my leisure.
We moved again for the second time after some time and this
time, I was able to get a bigger table and a corner seat even.
Throughout my first job, I remember over-working a lot. I
remember flying even more. As I look back every once in a while, I am thankful
for the opportunities accorded to me, a heartland boy, to see the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment