Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2014

Politics of Group Chats

A lot, in fact, all of the new friends we got to know here are introductions from friends we go to know here. These friends, of course, were introduced from other friends.

 

It’s a continuous cycle. Vicious or virtuous cycle? I guess there are hits and misses sometimes.

 

A very easy way to introduce someone to your current group of friends is through the Wechat or whatsapp group chats.

 

The groups typically start off small. Typically two or three couples trying to decide where to eat. Then after the dinner, pictures are shared in the group. Then the next times we want to arrange something, we would use the same group and probably add more people.

 

More and more people will be added. Some new people and some people the entire group already knows.

 

At same point, the group will get so big that it becomes unwieldy to arrange dinners. It’s not every dinner that the same 15 will be able to attend or want to attend. Or worse, that you would want them to attend.

 

Imagine coming up with a dinner location that 15 people agrees to.

 

The way to go around this would be to form a new group.

 

Then the new group slowly grows and grows from there.

 

It has come to a point where I have multiple groups of varying sizes but largely the same few people and the differences between the groups are the fringe people.

 

Once, one of these fringe people suggested dinner one night. The problem is the very same group already arranged for dinner that very night in another group but said fringe person and his wife wasn’t in THAT group. So no one replied to his suggestion. Everyone just kept quiet. I felt both uneasy and amused. Haha. It’s kinda hard to keep a dinner gathering under wraps because at every dinner, there will be pictures taken of the food, people and then posted on wechat where everyone can see. So, at that dinner, we made a pact to only post pictures within the group and not post anywhere else. So conspiratorial.

 

Frankly, if it werent for Someone’s active socialising, I’ll be counted as a fringe person.  I don’t mind being invited to less dinners so that I can stay home to watch more TV but I guess it’s rather sucky to jio people but they are arranging another thing without you. Kwa kwa.

No comments: