Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Stalled Market

I had earlier mentioned that I had started to open a shares trading account in Singapore.

 

There was a hiccup and the Central Depositary said I had to sign some documents in front of some official people.

 

So I arranged to sign them in front of the OCBC Shanghai employees since I was opening an account with them.

 

I was all prepared to courier these to Singapore when they said that they cant let me take them away. Anyone who takes these documents away must give them a receipt like a courier’s receipt. So in front of them, I called OCBC Singapore to ask them to arrange. They agreed.

 

Two weeks later, I didn’t hear anything and called OCBC Singapore. The VP said the documents are still in Shanghai. The Shanghai branch manager said no one arranged to come collect from them. I yelled at her and said if no one asked, you just let the documents sit there and you do nothing about it. She said it wasn’t her responsibility. Then she said the Singapore person has been liaising with was on leave. Then the Singapore VP said that it was the Shanghai person who was on leave.

 

I got pissed and yelled at her then called the Shanghai person again and yelled at her.

 

Singapore one called me back to say they’ve made arrangements to allow me to arrange a local courier to collect from the bank and then I courier it to Singapore myself. I yelled at her again to say that this was what I had suggested to them when they said they needed a receipt but they didn’t allow. Now, two weeks on, I missed the IPO of a company I wanted to buy.

 

Then I said to her in my calmest voice,” Please do me one more favour. Please call the bank again and ask them to destroy the documents because I don’t wish to open the account anymore.”

 

With that, I am now account-less again.

No comments: