Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Yoga Adventures

Because the both of us have been troubled by tight muscles, necks, backs for the longest time, we have decided to embark on yoga.

 

I actually got the idea of yoga quite some time back as a solution to our ailments. In fact, I thought it’d be better for Someone than me given the problems she has but there was a lot of inertia for her to go until quite recently when we got to know a Singaporean who has a yoga package here.

 

Someone had already tried one studio before I joined her for the first time. When I got there, the class before us was lying down. My friend told me that this was the dead man’s pose usually done at the end of each session.

 

I thought, “What a pussy move. Such a low impact ‘sport’. I’ll probably be dozing off.”

 

The class started off with a cross legged meditation. I was seated for less than a minute before I was already feeling like my upper thighs were burning and I was feeling very mang zang! I almost felt like I couldn’t breathe and I was trying so hard to calm down. No way I was going to survive this if I could take the first two minutes of meditation.

 

Thankfully, the meditation was over in a while.

 

Soon, the poses were getting difficult and I was working up quite a sweat. I began to understand that this could indeed be a workout and could actually be beneficial. I was quite glad for that actually. I am not the most flexible person and I know that so it wasn’t a big surprise to me that I couldn’t do a lot of the stuff but up and down, up and down, I was feeling a little dizzy. It must be my motion sickness again.

 

Time passed pretty quickly. Soon it was the end and time for dead man’s pose. I was so bushed that I was so thankful to be able to lie down and do the dead man’s pose.

 

BUT

 

I couldn’t rest. My legs were aching and my head was swirling. I was panting even, somewhat. I was trying to calm myself down by thinking of nice sceneries. I tried thinking of France but I realized that I have never gone to France before. Then I thought of the Maldives, but the waves weren’t helping with the motion sickness.

 

We were in Dead Man for about 15 minutes before the class dismissed.

 

I struggled a little to get up and limped to the showers and limped downstairs.

 

I limped for the next two days but I actually felt rather good for quite some time. Perhaps this is the way to go for a stretched life. A life free of tightness. We’ll see.

 

 

 

 

No comments: