Search This Blog

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Decadance



I have written often about how I come across decadence and how surprised I am. It’s not like I’m a model of austere living.

A couple of weeks ago, my President visited one of my clients and the client hosted a dinner.

As my President is new, this client wanted to impress him so he started talking about his hobbies and how he likes to collect things like cigars, fish, wine and good food.

He went on to say he had a fish farm in Hong Kong like a kelong. Said he had more than 1,000 fishes that are more than 2m long and 10,000 fishes that are shorter than 2m. I found that pretty incredulous really but I guess anything’s possible with these guys.

He then mentioned that he had specially brought the red wine which we were drinking that night so that we can try. I am not a big fan of red wine but it tasted pretty different. I am not sure if it was psychological. It probably it.

After that, he said my President should have come one day earlier. It had rained in Kunming two days ago. The rain caused a lot of mushrooms to grow. Client’s friend then sent these mushrooms to him yesterday. So he got to have fresh mushrooms. As fresh as can be. He asked my President to monitor the weather in Kunming. If it rains, he should make plans to come to China. *sweat*

Dessert came. I had heard him as the server to bring out THE peaches. I would actually prefer mangoes than peaches but who was I to demand fruits? Sliced up with their white and reddish skin still on it and looking rather soft, it didn’t look that appetizing at all. But golly, the moment I sank my teeth into them, the juice-filled pulp just burst into a million wet dreams. I gobbled my portion down in double quick time partly also because no one was paying me any attention.

After I got back to Shanghai, I couldn’t take my mind off them.

When we saw some at the supermarket, I stopped and checked the fruits section. They were selling peaches too! Three for S$17. Woah. That’s expensive. They gave us some to try and yes, they were the same I tried a few days before. I made an executive decision to buy them despite their price.

Alas, we got cheated! Those we bought weren’t half as soft nor succulent nor juicy as those we tried! They were as crunchy as apples in fact. What a downer.

I was so traumatized by being cheated so I decided to call my colleague in Wuxi (recently found out that Wuxi has good peaches) to buy some for me and courier it to Shanghai.

He did and that’s why I have two boxes of these last weekend.

  photo 8D8A7672-2266-436C-8F72-AF35771AB6D6_zps90jrrf1b.jpg

MOST of these were the real and a couple were too hard or rotten. But the good ones were da domb! They weren’t exactly cheap either. 8 for S$30. Heng my colleague said one box was his gift to me.


No comments: