Amongst the newest new things in my life (read imac, KPE, car, penguin water dispenser and LCD TV), i also recently joined Facebook.
I was holding out on joining it for some time. Largely because of the disappointment of getting just 70+ friends in Friendster, as compared to 250+ friends other people had... I even read of two sisters in the newspapers who, between them, had 17,000 friends on their friendster accounts. They even had to create multiple accounts because of the limitations of whatever.
But i caved in. Largely cos I was semi-bored whilst i was in the interview-considering-contemplating limbo.
At first, I added some unsavoury ple from my uni. A bit distasteful, i thought, to be wasting my time on these kinda people. These people dont deserve my time! Not even the time that im planning to waste. Oh, but i digress.
Then i started to find some people by accident, simply cos Singapore's so small! I searched thru my JC friend's page and saw one of her friends who looked pretty. SO i went to the pretty girl's page to see her friends. Then I saw the sister of a long-time friend on the pretty girl's page. Then i went to the sister's page and found my long-time friend!!!!!
I sent her a message some 3 weeks ago and didnt get any reply. I was afriad that Friendster II was going to haunt me again. Then i got a reply
"Hey!! I´m great! To sum up, I quit my job in Jan, spent 2 months in Paris studying French, then studied Spanish and then took off for 5 months in South America backpacking!
I´m now in Chile and it´s been almost 4 months already! Can´t believe it...will be back in Singapore in mid Dec...so give me your cell no. and we´ll meet up when I´m back...with XXX as well..what´s that guy up to these days?"
Gosh.. so fun. Though I am not the hugest fan of travelling but her lifestyle seems quite carefree. So cool.
And then a JC junior of mine also added me and it was like a 10 years of catch up.
And then with the JC junior came lots of my own JC classmates and from their profiles, I saw a couple of them being married already. Not that I was hurt they didnt invite me. (In faact because they didnt invite me, i could have enough money for my imac). But it seems like there're more of them married than i thought. So that's a good thing.
Amidst the sheep throwing and (fluff) friends races, Facebook provides a non-threatening way to connect in ways that would seem startling after non-existant contact in the last 10 years. Even though you have not contacted them for ages, it is extremely interesting to see how your peers turn out after going through the same "system" as you.
I have 87 friends now, hoping for more for a better tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment