Search This Blog

Thursday, December 05, 2013

Landlord

We signed the lease for the new apartment the other day. I was quite apprehensive leading to it because the place was just too cheap to be true. For a 14% increase in rent, we got a 93% increase in size! That didnt make any sense.

It was a kinda weird process because for the first time, the landlord and I exchanged name cards.

It turned out that we both knew of each others' companies and I even knew some people from his team. It was a quick 5 minutes of reminiscing. Haha. He even said he would ask me out for drinks if he's nearby. Landlord was quite a senior person and of cos my namecard made it look like I am a senior person too. Anyway, it turns out that Landlord works for the company which developed this condominium development. Now it made sense to me that he probably got the unit cheap and was more concerned about finding a good clean tenant than the rent quantum.

He quickly signed the lease without much checking and didnt even count the three months' worth of rent in cash.

After signing everything, he asked if we were free to go to the nearby electronics store to pick out the appliances we needed him to buy.

That was a little odd for us because we had originally offered to go buy it ourselves and save him the trouble if he just gave us the budget. He told the agent to tell us - 自己的 东西,我会自己去买。

We first went to the TV section. He said he wanted Sony.

WHAT??!? Sony? For your tenants?

He pointed to one and asked me what I thought. I told him that Sony is overpriced and I think other brands like Samsung was better. He then went to choose a 51" and 32" for the living and master room after haggling a bit with the sales person.

He then chose a huge-ass two door fridge (local brand) and a Siemens washing machine.

All throughout, I was telling Someone that the bugger was choosing them faster than us when we were buying appliances for our place in Singapore! So this is was 受宠若惊 is about.

All these in contrast with our current landlord who didnt allow us to terminate the lease earlier and insisted we pay for the full term. 

*At the time of typing this post, Landlord sent us pictures of the TVs that arrived. He even applied for internet for us which he will be paying for.

W00t!




No comments: